New hockey Players
Welcome to the Richmond Jets Minor Hockey Association
Hockey is a fantastic sport. If your child is active, loves to move, and loves speed and excitement then hockey might just be the sport for them!
We offer three fantastic programs for new hockey players.
U6 (Hockey 1)
For boys and girls who will be 4 years old or 5 years old as of December 31, 2021.
- 2 one-hour sessions per week
Intro to Hockey
For boys and girls who will be 8 years old or older as of December 31, 2021.
- Learn the fundamentals of skating and hockey
- Two one-hour ice sessions per week with professional skating and hockey coaches. (TBC based on ice availability)
- Plus an opportunity to attend skill development sessions and/or team practices (when appropriate).
- All players will be provided with a practice jersey if available. (TBC)
The First Shift
This amazing program is a great way for boys and girls (aged 6-10) to try our great sport.
- Learn all the basic skills of hockey
- Six on-ice sessions
- Players are outfitted head-to-toe in brand-new hockey equipment, which is theirs to keep
A little bit about us
The Richmond Jets Minor Hockey Association is one of the largest minor hockey associations in British Columbia. We have just over 1,000 kids playing minor hockey in our community at both the recreational and competitive streams.
What to expect as you embark on your hockey adventure
As we get closer to September, we will announce the specific days and times for your child's program. We have ice times (7 days a week) at Richmond Ice Centre and Minoru Arenas.
View ice rink locations
There will be ice cancellations during the season. This is normal and it is factored into the price that you paid. Richmond Arenas takes away our ice when there are large events, including tournaments at Richmond Ice Centre. For example, we probably will not have our ice sessions on Thanksgiving weekend and you definitely will not have ice sessions over the Winter Break. We will let you know about these cancellations as we get closer to them.
We will be assessing all of our new players at the start of our program and, if some of the children are ready, they may be moved to teams. We will not do this unless you agree.
Children must wear full equipment to every session. If you have any equipment needs we will help you with that in early September. Please inquire.
Tips for new hockey parents
- We recommend that you label all equipment with your child's name
- We also suggest that you put your child's name on the front of his/her helmet so that our coaches can easily get to know your child's name.
- Once your child is wearing skates, please remind him/her to stay on rubber flooring so the skates remain sharp and undamaged. Please also have skate guards.
- It is also very important to note that you are responsible to supervise your child before, during (if permitted in the rink) and after our programs.
- Please do not leave the building if permitted inside.
- If your child needs to use the washroom or needs help with his/her equipment, it will be your responsibility to help him/her if permitted in the rink.
Richmond Jets Minor Hockey Association
As one of the largest minor hockey associations in British Columbia, the Richmond Jets Minor Hockey Association offers an integrated (boys and girls) minor hockey program from Initiation to Juvenile. Featuring both recreational ("C") and competitive ("A") streams, our programs operate out of the three different facilities in the City of Richmond: Richmond Ice Centre (RIC), Minoru Arenas (Stadium and Silver Rinks), Richmond Oval (North and South rinks).
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.